I designed and installed elements for "Protect Papahānaumokuākea" at Maui Ocean Center. This exhibit displays the wide range of endemic sea life within the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument, as well as a call for continued protection of the monument's expanded boundaries.
• I designed and finished a mahogany-trimmed backlit film table that displays a map of the Hawaiian islands and the outline of the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument expansion area designated in 2016.
• Among the marine life prints on display, I built an LED short-throw projection system with a screen that appears as a painter's canvas, displaying videos about the monument and its sea life.
• I also installed a directional ceiling speaker system that plays a loop of a portion of the Kumulipo, the Hawaiian creation chant.
Caring For Corals
I designed the Caring for Corals exhibit to showcase the methods used by Maui Ocean Center to propagate coral fragments and transplant them into areas where coral has been damaged.
• The exhibit includes two graphic panels, a backlit map of the Hawaiian Islands that shows where coral fragments were harvested, and an information panel that shows the actual tools used by our curatorial staff to transplant coral fragments.
I designed and installed the entire A/V system for Maui Ocean Center's new 30 seat Makai Theater. This theater has several showings a day of mid-length films about conservation, ocean ecology, and other related marine subjects.
• The A/V system includes 7.1 surround sound, Blu-Ray and flash media players, a hidden HD projector with a 120" screen, and wireless RGB LED cove lighting.
Archival Project for RCV-150 submersible
This was a total archival project for Hydro Products' RCV-150 remotely operated submersible. The submersible was gifted to the Maui Ocean Center by HURL (Hawaii Undersea Research Lab) when it was decommissioned in 2011.
• I hand-selected images and videos from over 1,000 slides, filmstrips, video tapes, and polaroids and worked with Heritage Werks out of Atlanta to choose a digital archival process for our various forms of media.
• Mini DV tapes and other media that was accessible were reviewed and sorted before being sent for archival.
Front Gate Video Wall
I selected and installed all electronic and rigging for an 8 panel (dual sided) video wall developed for the front gate and ticketing area at the Maui Ocean Center. The video wall employs a cost effective Userful client-server platform to control 8x 65" HDTVs.
• Each wall can display live web pages, streaming video, and slide shows. The interior wall featured a twitter feed of #mauioceancenter tagged posts and the exterior wall showed current events and promotions.
Undersea Cave Theater
I planned and installed a multi-use 10 seat theater designed for streaming NOAA's Okeanos Explorer feed.
• The Okeanos Explorer ship live streams all of its deep sea dives, with audio commentary from oceanographers, biologists, and marine geologists both on the Okeanos Explorer, and on-shore through a satellite feed.
• When not live streaming, the theater was utilized for the screening of short films on seasonal and monthly topics such as sea turtles, sharks, coral, and invertebrates.
Filming Live Coral
Filming of live coral for Maui Ocean Center. I shot these under various types of full spectrum and UV light fixtures. Corals were fed artemia, mysis, and nauplii by an aquarist and then filmed.
• Accelerated video clips were then edited together for a video shown at the IUCN world conservation congress held on Oahu, HI in Sept. 2016.
Alexander and Baldwin Sugar Museum
• Restoration project of traveling exhibit panels, including sanding and repainting, printing and remounting images. These exhibit panels display the history of sugar plantation workers on Maui, and are shown at various cultural and educational gatherings around the island.
• Antique cockfighting spurs being archived for the Alexander & Baldwin Sugar Museum in Maui, HI
Tide Pool Steps
Shown is a "before", mock-up, and finished installation of invertebrate outlines to an exhibit to increase visibility of the children's booster steps around the outside of the Tide Pool. This solution was proposed in order to avoid unsightly high-vis options. I designed the stencil outlines, applied them, and selected a stone-specific outdoor paint for durability.
The Secret Life of Plankton
100" LED projection system with bluetooth surround speakers I designed and installed to display the "Secret Life of Plankton" TED-Ed video showcasing the microscopic marine ecosystem.